View Single Post
Old 10-22-06, 12:20 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put the KoolStop dual compound (salmon/black) brake pads on and I really recommend them. The stock pads aren't bad, but one ride in the rain and you'll know you need more braking power. The kool stops can be had for anywhere from 9 bucks on ebay to 14 on harriscyclery. Makes sure to get the threaded kind, they work great.

As for the rider comparing to a road racer and comfort on 20" wheels, two things can make it more comfortable, a Thudbuster Seatpost and Schwalbe Big Apple Tires. The Big Apples (from people's reviews here) seem to have low rolling resistance for a "suspension" tire so not too much speed is lost. As for the Thudbuster, I'm 6' have the XL Thudbuster and I'm at the limit in order to get a road bike position. Cruiser position I've got an extra 3". If you want to really get a road bike position your best bet is to get the non-sus, get the schwalbes and then find a 550mm seatpost, or have someone custom make one that length or longer. Yan will tell you that the full-suspension will fit a taller rider because of the horizontal vs. sloping downtube. He's right, but if you don't want suspension, then finding a 550mm seatpost for the non-sus is the best bet.

Originally Posted by barneybarney
i'm following this subject with interest as i have the same problems with auto shifting except with me it's 4th gear thats the issue - it won't settle and keeps trying to change to fifth and back. weirdly, its not consistant and on occasion i don't get the problem.

however i do have a consistant problem with the chain being thrown at the front chain ring (by the peddles) when i change to 8th/9th. this now happens several times each time i take the bike out for a ride and its beginning to take the shine of the experience. Does anyone else have the same prob or know how to fix this?

also what are peoples opinions of the stock brake pads that come with the DT? do people advise replacing them? my rear brake is very poor. took bike to my LBC for service but brake/gear/chain probs not addressed.

hope someone can advise.

barney