View Single Post
Old 10-22-06, 01:35 PM
toman
green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This whole issue comes down to nothing more than the proper way to do business. It doesn't matter what parts a person comes in with, whether you will make more money on someone else's job, or any of that crap. You treat the customer with respect, and do whatever you can to get him what he needs, regardless. That way to earn a good reputation, word spreads, people come back, and when they finally have the $$$$ to spend on that complete bike, they'll be willing to pay a little extra at the LBS so that a. the guys there make a living, b. they'll be able to get it wrenched on later, and c. they'll improve the business/customer relationship that much more. New customers just aren't going to start out with a business that charges inflated prices for parts, when they can get them for less soemplace else, and I think that everyone understands that. When bike shops figure out how much of the population they're alienating with poor business practices, elitist attitudes and comparitively exorbinant prices and finally change, I think they'll be amazed at how much more money they make and how much happier their customer base is. Until then, **** the LBS and their attitude, I'll wrench on my own bike, even though my work sucks.