View Single Post
Old 10-23-06, 08:51 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, T-Mar!

Even though I guess the bike is just "older" and not really "classic" or "vintage", (shoot, I was in college in '92) let me go on:

First impressions on the commute today. With a little raising and sliding of the seat, the bike fit me to a T.

This is my first true "road" bike--I have a MTB, Jamis Nova cyclocross bike, and 1971 Raleigh SuperCourse fixie conversion, and holy simoleons, I thought-- what have I been missing?

This bike feels much different than the others I own-much more lively, and sort of springy in all the right places. When I stand on the pedals, it's like it pushes me along. I don't know if that's a product of the tubing or the geometry. The handling is awesome, almost telapathic, but still rock-stable, although I haven't taken it down any steep hills yet. 7X2 speeds is plenty for me, and it shifts amazingly clean.

I'm curious: what is the difference between the nines and the more upper-end models? Just the components, or also the geometry? Can I rest content knowing that this bike provides the full miyata experience?

Also, how gingerly do I have to treat the bike? My commute is over some pretty nasty paths with a couple curbs to hop (I put in a whole bunch of chain slap paint divots in the chainstays this morning). Is this going to stress out the frame, or can I basically go at it (within reason)?

Despite the paint job (which is not as bad as it could have been, I suppose), and the clunky plastic look of the 105 gruppo, I'd just like to say:

the bike rocks!

Last edited by comradehoser; 10-23-06 at 09:39 AM.