View Single Post
Old 10-23-06, 09:45 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With respect to FarHorizon - Senior Curmudgeon, my experience is the exact opposite, right down to the Specialized Milano. My Milano hangs on the shop wall along with the other seven failed padded/gel'd experiments. A decent saddle but hot and sweaty over 40 miles because it is synthetic. It came on my Specialized Sequoia Elite as a toss-in since Specialized knows the owner will personalize the bike. Same with the brake pads - but I digress...

It's Brooks for me. I have a B17 on that bike and B67's (springs) on my Trek 520 tour bike and my now broken and dead Trek 830 MTB (set up for road use/touring). The latter is being replaced by a very good Trek 930 that will either inherit the saddle or it will get a new Champion Flyer, which is a B17 with springs.

My suggestion to the OP is that he consider the ride posture and go from there. If the bro' uses a MTB or a comfort type bike, then a B67 or a Champion Flyer would be my call. If a recreational road type like the Sequoia, then a B17 Standard should do it. If a competition type roadie, then all bets are off, since little weight is placed upon the saddle and a synthetic featherweight will probably do as well as anything. Trial and error I'm afraid.

EDIT NOTE: Also with respect to FarHorizon, his post points out the vast range of preferences on saddles. Just like boots.

Last edited by jcm; 10-23-06 at 09:52 AM.