View Single Post
Old 10-23-06, 05:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
And suburban areas? They have driveways everywhere too, except maybe on the main arterials.

Much of older San Diegan suburbs have residences along the main arterials.

Even in newer areas, there are not too many arterials with very long stretches that are totally intersection free for hundreds of yards.
I purposfully left out suburban as the definition of suburban means very different things to different folks. I used to describe where I live as (endlessly) suburban, but this has caused confusion to those who live in areas with new even lower density suburban.

I am finding there is enough traffic volume and intersections in phoenix-metro type subrubia as to better describe it as urban for traffic discussion purposes. Technically it may be surburban, but its not the large grassy lots with winding roads connecting them and a shopping center where the turn off from the highway is, type suburbia.

Yes, here too there are residential driveways along arterials and its very hard to find a 1/4mi stretch of arterial without an intersection.

The city I live in, although considered technically a suburb of Phoenix is the most densely populated city in Arizona.

Play with this link, zoom in an change to satellite view and see for yourself.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.085573&om=1

Al

Last edited by noisebeam; 10-24-06 at 12:59 PM.