View Single Post
Old 10-24-06, 10:31 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-mar thanks for the advice. I'm planning to put a suspension fork on there and a suspension seatpost and riser bars. ha haha..... no.

The nine 14 is of limited commuter use if only because there are no rack eyelets [edit: I meant fender eyelets, same diff anyways...], but maybe I'll just take it on the "road" way to work instead of the "trails" way. As soon as I figure out how to lower the resolution of my camera's pics in order to upload, I will post it along with the supercourse.

I'm thinking of keeping it pretty stock, maybe swapping in a shorter nitto stem I have (the stock one is nice but just a smidge too long) and a brooks pro or swift saddle, eventually (just 'cause), maybe some new cranks--the 105 are early-90s plastic blob fugly.

If the BB is square taper, the sugino double crankset I have on my fixie is way better looking. Are there compatibility issues with using a crankset made for say an 8 or 9-spd in a 7-speed system, assuming one swaps out the chainrings? I know my truvativ 9 speed chainrings did not like the 105 10-speed chain and STIs at all. But is it only forwards incompatibility? (i.e.: 7 rings in an 8 system; 9 in a 10, etc) Well, maybe that question is better left for the bike mech. forum.

Last edited by comradehoser; 10-24-06 at 09:26 PM.