View Single Post
Old 10-25-06, 03:31 PM
divineAndbright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goon - frankenstein double bar ballooner

Almost a year ago I bought this double bar frame with a few parts from someone online from old roads . com, we didnt really get bicycles like this in Canada, and I wanted one quite bad.. so I was quite desperate just to get whatever I can cheap and fix up, so I got this POS, no clue what it was (Missing headbadge), but possibly a JC HIggins or a Elgin (same company depending on what year you're in) going by the cranks chainring (though that "bathroom floor drain" design was pretty popular and used on various bicycles at the time as well, so who knows what it is).

There were holes in both chainstays from bent crank arms dinging the frame which I knew about, when I got the bike in the mail the frame was also mysteriously contorted/warped which I didnt know about.

I tried to put the bicycle together shortly after getting it with some parts from a girls 50s mercury bicycle on ebay, but I didnt have the needed skip tooth chain (the original one on the bike had a link ruined). I rode the bicycle for about a day with a normal drive chain using a CCM crank, but it didnt fit properly so it would just come loose all the time. My foot also banged against the front fender from pedalling due to the bentness, so I eventually said the hell with it, took it apart and hucked it in the basement and forgot about it.

I managed to get a skip tooth chain during that time, so about a week ago I was bored and figured I'd build it up again. I shoved a piece of steel in the frame and jumped on it to straighten it out (hehe!) then brought it up the street to an auto body shop to get the chainstays welded.

And today it was put together, yay!

Comfy seat! She weighs a good 45 pounds and is uglier than anything, I call her "The goon". I might put the original black fenders on over those red ones I put on, I was just kinda in the mood for some kinda weird clown bike look.

Anyways, thats the story of this thing. These bikes arent fast or the most forgiving to ride, but are neat in their own way.. just dont spend too much money on one if you're interested in getting one someday!

Keep on, keep on!