Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tacks
any tips for training for these rides? I've read about the importance of core muscle building so my skeleton and wrists doesnt have to do all the work of holding me up, but with the exception of hill training, everything I've read on here and in books seems like stuff I already do all the time.

I suppose I should tell you about me. I'm probably the cyclist you hate. I'm the 20-something kid riding a track bike through traffic downtown. I lane split, go fast, ignore bike lanes, and yes, I regularly disobey traffic control devices.
I dont say these things to convey toughness or whatever, it's honest. and relevant. being one of those inner-city track bike kids means I alredy ride my bike a LOT. at least 15 miles a day. EVERY day. yes, all of them. I gotta get to work somehow and don't own a car, and on the weekend I go on longer rides just for fun. also - track bikes are fixed gears so that right there is a bunch more excersize in the mix.
still, with all of the riding that I do, I still feel like "the tour is going to train me" on those first days and I'd like to prevent that as much as possible.

so, aside from yoga and hill repeats, what are your suggestions?

second. reading through threads here I saw someone post something along the lines of "the novarra randonee is only 28 pounds!" my daily bike weighs just a hair over 18 pounds and compared to some of my friends' rides, it's a tank. is 28 lbs *actually* considered light for a touring bike?
I'm probably going to go with a custom frame, and I understand touring bikes need to be heavier due to more rack mounts, eyelets, braze-ons, gears, brakes, and longer geometery in general, but 10 whole pounds!? really?!

1. If you want to tour, you might consider starting to ride legally. You just never know when you'll be pulled over and ticketed/fined for something you've done in another city. And the laws in your city might be different, or a bit more lax, than the laws in the next city. Fines, tickets, etc. could put quite a damper on your tour.

2. 15 miles a day isn't very much ... especially if you are planning to work up to a touring distance. You might want to consider gradually increasing your mileage as your first step in training. From everything I've read (and what I've done myself) an average daily distance on a tour is usually somewhere around 50 miles a day.

3. My sport touring bicycle weighs 27 lbs unloaded. Once I get the panniers etc. on, he weighs around 60-70 lbs. Another aspect of training is getting used to riding with weight on the bicycle. It handles quite differently than a very light, unloaded bicycle!

Go out on some of those weekend test tours you mentioned and you'll start to discover what's involved.