View Single Post
Old 10-27-06, 05:16 PM
INTP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Nobody knows what will happen in the future. It's important not to get too discouraged. Do as much as you can to be part of the solution. Then, no matter what happens, you will not be blamed.
Certainly, nobody knows the future, but that does not make prediction a completely futile exercise. It is important to be honest and realistic, as well. I would never discourage anyone from doing what they can to make a difference. At the same time, I still hold that the most effective efforts of a tiny minority is likely to be insufficient. If there were a way to increase the number of people doing these things, then I would be much more optimistic. But if optimism within the current situation means that nearly everyone can continue with business-as-usual, then I think that optimism becomes destructive. Acknowledging the problem is the first step, and we're not even doing that.

I realize that I sound pessimistic to some. At one point not long ago, I would have agreed. After looking further into things, I've become quite concerned. This idea of 9 Billion people is a horrific thought, which will lead to immense suffering. In fact, it's pretty clear to me that without fossil fuels, this planet cannot support anywhere near the 6.5 Billion that are already alive.

As far as blame, I hardly think that's even worth considering, in the context of what we're facing.