View Single Post
Old 10-31-06, 11:13 PM
Quick_Torch C5
Mad Furyan

Bikes: 02 Cannondale Jekyll,06 Santa Cruz Heckler, 06 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 09 Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CorporationMe
Well my friend just bought a used Rockhopper Pro - great condition, ridden for only five months. The bike was upgraded to Hayes 9 hydraulic brakes, the stopping power on them are incredible when I gave it a test ride. However, the front brake/wheel seems to be making a LOUD piercing and very audible screeching noise, as if though it was metal-on-metal contact, everytime you move the wheel foward and then backwards.

What the hell could it be? I'm advising my friend to take it into his LBS to have it checked out - any thoughts on what it could be? Perhaps there's a quick remedy for it.... (crosses fingers).

Thanks!
Disc rotors and pads seem to commonly make noises like this, even in the automotive industry (my forte). A warped rotor can aggrevate this symptom, and seems like your problem. Check your pads, if they are low (less than 1/32-1/64 inch), then replace them. If not, and the brakes grab really good, I say live with it Unless you REALLY can't stand it, then spend(waste) some hard earned cash on some new brakes! Good luck!