Old 11-02-06, 01:54 AM
brotherdan
This user is a pipebomb

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tour on a bianchi volpe. I think it's a great bike, and it has served me well. There are a lot of anti-volpe people on this forum, though. The trek 520 is also supposed to be a pretty good bike in that price range, and there are several other touring specific bikes that would fit the bill.
There are lots of different brands of panniers that would fit your price range. Different panniers have different features that appeal to different people. I have experience with panniers that are manufactured by Jandd and arkel. They work fairly well for me, but I'm considering purchasing a set of ortlieb panniers, or the nashbar waterproof panniers, when my current set finally wears out.

When I tour I eat energy bars, trail mix, granola and anything else I can get my hands on, all day long, and I usually end the day with more of the same, when I'm done riding. I don't keep track of calories or take pains to ensure that I'm eating a balanced diet. But I do try to make an effort to eat a fair amount of protein. I always carry a block of cheese with me to supplement the generally carb heavy foods that I eat on tour. I think my daily caloric intake is 6000 calories or more.
I think the best energy bars on the market are cliff bars. I like cliff because they taste pretty good, and they are an independently owned company. Plus they use a lot of organic ingredients. But cliff bars can be difficult to find in places. Whereas a lot of gas stations carry powerbars, which don't taste as good, and which are owned by Nestle (which I consider to be a negative atribute).

You don't necessarily have to carry a stove with you. I used an MSR white gas stove on my first long tour. It was nice to have a hot meal at the end of the day, and to have a cup of tea here and there. But I haven't been carrying a stove in recent years, and I haven't really missed it. When I do have a stove with me, I cook lentils and rice with fresh vegetables and a lot of cheese more often than not.

There are lots of good tents out there. I use a mountain hardware one man tent. There was a good discussion about tents a few weeks ago in this forum. You should check the old threads to find it.