DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dlakey
I just bought my computer this year at the LBS so I assume it is either a 2002 or 2003 model.

I have since posting the original post used one of the suggestions and used a tie wrap to attach the original mounting bracket to the handlebars for now. This will do for a short term solution but I really must find something better long term. I have since come up with another problem though.
Go to the links in my previous post. Those will work for current model Speedzones but not the Speedzone Classics. There's a different mount for the classics.

The magnet which attaches to the spokes worked fine on my old schwinn with the round spokes. Well the spokes on this Allez are not round. The body of the spoke is flat, so the only way to mount the magnet on the spoke is on the narrow side. This is facing away from the pickup at 90 degrees. As a result the field isn't passing the pickup the right way and therefore the pickup isn't picking up the magnet. Does anyone have any suggestions for this dilema?
Mavic sells a universal magnet that will work equally well on bladed or round spokes.

Specialized also sells an adhesive magnet that works with bladed spokes.

It would seem that since the bike and the computer were made by the same company, I wouldn't have all of these compatability problems.
There are many different designs in cycling with components coming in all shapes and sizes. Specialized participates in covering many of the different design types but can't cover them all. They also impliment across a broad spectrum of those design types. One can't expect a universal fit between all Specialized components against every other one. They do provide appropriate fitting solutions however.