Old 11-17-06, 09:22 AM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
++ to the numerous posters who noted that many drivers believe that riding on the road at all is somehow against the rules.

Originally Posted by cooperwx
Around here "lost tourists" would be in the top 10.

A few times a week I hear a local honking at a poor soul in a car with out-of-state plates, going slower than the speed limit, trying to find a good place to turn around. If they're behind me I play it really safe, even pull off the road, since they're usually flooring it to make up for the time the wayward tourist "cost" them.
We get a lot of tourists around here too. You have to be very careful around them, as they're likely to swerve or pull a u-turn suddenly and without looking. As in, "Oh -- there's the Lincoln Memorial" and cut across three lanes of traffic.

I've also noticed that tourists are disproportionately likely to be perturbed by bicycles in the street.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org