View Single Post
Old 10-28-03, 11:05 AM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by South Fulcrum
I stuck with the 48x16 that came on the bike. Haven't really thought much about changing - maybe I'm just complacent. Atlanta is no Pittsburgh or San Fran, but it sure ain't flat either.

As far as the long debated break/no break - I have a front break, but I only use it when I'm being lazy. It's nice to know it's there, but really I think I ride faster than I should in certain situations and I take more risk knowing it's there - such as approaching intersections, going down hills, etc. I think you could make the argument that no brake is actually safer. Well, if you're going to ride the same with or without I would go ahead and say there will be once every 3 months or so that you'll be saying "that brake was a good idea." It sort of seems like there is a macho attitude associated with not having a brake. If that’s important to you, well that’s another topic. It’s not that a brake adds much weight, and one brake does not cause that big a maintenance issue. Some people say that it looks better without a brake. I feel like you’re then entering a realm where your bike becomes less than a means of transportation and more a fashion accessory.

Despite the potential argument that no brake is safer, I sort of feel that it ain’t going to hurt and if anything it will most likely help. I think the no brake safer debate would end in a draw anyway. This could just go on and on and back and forth. Oh well.
there's more to it than that--without a break, you rely on your chain to stop your FG. if you've ever jumped your chain(i have), you're looking at no stopping power beyond throwing down your feet as 'landing gear'. i run a brake, and i think it's pimp to do so.

-rob