Old 11-28-06, 08:35 PM
Bounty Hunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
Hey i posted on honda-tech too but ill post here also since you gave more info here. Anyway I would recomend a touring or road bike.

Something like the bianchi volpe, lemond reno, trek 1200, scott speedster s50, fuji newest 1.0, ect...

but if you want the flat bars get the trek 7.3fx or 7.5fx or the specialized sirrus. But those bikes are essentially slower road bikes with flat bars. They may have slightly larger tires but a touring/cyclo bike will be able to fit wider tires and be much faster.

anyway good luck. i went crazy trying to get the right first bike and ended up with a lemond reno and couldn't be more happy.
I was told the Strada is the same bike as the Volpe with a few changes (tires, drop bars, etc)

I rode both the Bianchi Strada and Trek 7.5FX today. I tried to ride back to back, but it was about an hour in between due to distance. I had a longer ride on the Bianchi because of location (parking lot duty on the Trek). BOTH felt wonderful, yet different. The Trek felt like it handled a little crisper and tighter. The Bianchi handled bumps better and felt quicker...maybe it was my imagination. The Bianchi definitely stopped quicker and had a better brake feel than the Trek. Both shifted well...amazingly I enjoyed the grip shifters on the Bianchi. Both seemed to weigh about the same. The Bianchi has VERY small tires (which made me wonder if they could be dangerous to a newer rider). The Trek tires are wider and inspired a little more confidence riding. I really thought I'd be overwhelmed by either of them to the point I would pick one over the other. The Trek felt familiar in riding position (like a mt bike), but the flat roady Bianchi riding position didn't feel bad to me...just unfamiliar. I'm still confused and if I was a rider that knows bikes then I might know better what to look for when riding these. Everyone seems to say the Bianchi is closer to a true road bike and it's a natural progression to want to move into a road bike. Both salesmen told me that too. If this holds true the Bianchi could be converted if I choose to go that route. The Trek salesman said he loves his road bike, but likes the versatility of the FX bikes. He could see riding it on trails and commuting...going off curbs when needed, etc. Things he wouldn't do on the Bianchi. I'm primarily buying a bike for paved trails at this point. HELP me make a decision...I feel so indecisive!

I can get the Trek for 5% off retail (retail is $749.99 or $739.99 at another shop that doesn't have it in stock) OR 10% of the bike's value in accessories ($75 towards helmet, tools, bag, water bottle mount, etc).

The Bianchi is 20% off. Retail is $799.99 and the shop offered me 20% off (= $160 for those of you that hate math). That's approximately $640 for this bike. $100 less than the Trek.