deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planetbike Blinky Superflash

I know there was a long Superflash v Cateye thread, but searching through I could not find a review of the Superflash so here is mine:

Based on recommendations here I wanted a Superflash for my new commuter rig. So, I trucked on down to the LBS where they do sell some planetbike stuff, but they had never stocked them. After the Manager checked with the Rep. and got some shipped (they ended up ordering a whole case) I picked mine up today for $24.00 (Cheaper than Amazon after shipping).

Sorry I did not take any picks before mounting, but here are some pics of the mounted light and the extra adapter that comes with it to mount to it to a smaller frame piece.

The first thing that really struck me about the light was how small it is! I was thinking, "That's it?"

The next pic shows the smaller adapter that comes with it to mount it on smaller frame pieces if you wish, but as you can see I mounted mine on my seatpost.

Here you can kind of see the plastic tab sticking down from behind the light that allows the light to be removed quickly if i am using my rack or if I wish to take it with me when going into a store. What is left on back of the light when removed from the mount is like a little belt clip to hook it too a trunk bag, etc.

This pic kind of shows the mounts come with 2 strips of different size rubber material to keep the light in place and take up some slack if the mounts are somewhat big (I am using both on this setup.)

The light is crazy ridiculous bright, and I blinded myself in the LBS by looking right at it. There is only 2 modes (full on or blinky), but there is really no need for anything more. The complaint I have heard about this light is that there is little light to the side which I can confirm is very true. The light is very, very bright to the rear, but offers NO light to the sides.

Here is a video of the light in my dark apartment from about 12':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc0TPyzBgxw

Here is one from about 100 meters:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64651690&hl=en

CONCLUSION: Awesome light for great price. I will probably buy another when I get a chance, and run them on the chain or seat stays.