Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Dahon Mu SL

It’s the components!

The Mu’s sleek frame and dream component set first caught my attention. American Classic produces components in the lightest weight range (lighter than Dura Ace), and Dahon has put these components where they matter (e.g., the bottom bracket, which weighs in at under 150gm).

The wheels are imitation Rolf, but seem to be built just as well. The frame is reasonably stiff and well designed (except for the standard Dahon hinge, it’s a great frame). It’s topped off with Syntace bars.

The bike generally rides well. My roadie friends found it to ride as well as their road bikes. I wasn’t in 100% agreement. I find the ride harsher, and the Mu doesn’t have the same quality feel as a good road bike.

But remember folks, this is a folder, so not too bad. After putting 400 miles on this bike, I really fell for it. But not hard enough that I’m going to keep it. New York’s roads are just too harsh for a 20” bike with no rear suspension. So, I put it on eBay. So sad.

I'm now riding a Birdy, and have put 100mi on it in the past week. The quality of the ride is higher, but of course, the Birdy is 5 pounds heavier.

The Mu folds very fast. I have it down to under 10 seconds. It also folds reasonably small for a 20" wheel. I have no problem getting in and out of cafes, the office, etc. I enjoy folding it.

Were I to change anything on the Mu, it would be to increase the suspension, perhaps via a Thudbuster. But I just couldn't bring myself to take the weight up on a bike that was already so incredibly light.