View Single Post
Old 11-29-06, 04:40 PM
jany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
feeling frisky @ 56

I am a 56 year old female cyclist. I actually just sold my car and am going car-free. I've been riding for about 25 years, mostly recreational.

I have several bikes to choose from..an old vintage Cannondale, a zippy little Italian road bike, a fendered fat tire commuter and the back half of a Santana tandem.

I've had some big milage years and some sparse years depending on what other hobbies I've gotten myself into. Now that I am carless I am seeing my milage and firness level really take a jump.

I am a nutritionist by profession and beleive that a standard multi-vitamin should be adequate if you are eating a healthy diet.

I also do some basic weight training to offset bone loss. I used to run but my knees are telling me it is time to stop. I love to cross country ski when we get snow....we usually have to go north or over to West Virginia for that.

But at any rate I feel that I can continue to cyle at a decent pace and distance for the rest of my life. One of my "older" cycling friends just turned 80 and he can ride rings around folks half his age.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors: