View Single Post
Old 11-30-06, 09:30 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
My primary commuter and all-duty car-free hauler, plus my loaded touring rig:

Only now it has a Brooks B-17 and Panaracer T-Serv tires, both of which make for a very classy-looking bike, I think. In case you can't tell, it's a 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker. Great bike!

And then there's my road racing bike, which I use for fun, fast recreational riding. It's currently sitting in my basement patiently awaiting a 6 to 7-speed upgrade this winter (or late spring, when I'm more likely to have the cash). My 1987 Univega Gran Record:

I don't have any pictures of my third bike. This one is an old Schwinn LeTour III, which I've dated to 1978. The paint (what's left of it) is a light tangerine color. This has been my beater bike for about the last six months or so. It's also a project bike. For the first five of those months, it was a 3-speed conversion, with a 27-inch rear wheel built around an old Sears hub and a chopped steel flatbar. For the last month, it's been sitting in my basement awaiting its rebirth as a single-chainring 6-speed backup commuter and beater bike for the narsty weather. This bike has any number of problems, what with the rust and missing paint and the saddle that feels like sitting on a hunk of granite, but for some reason I've grown rather attached to it. It has fun handling but a more relaxed ride than the Univega.

I'm very fond of all of my bikes, and I wouldn't want to give up any of them!