Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by claire
I read somewhere that the law asks you to have steady lights (at least in Ontario, I think) because flashing lights make it more difficult for a motorist to accurately localize you
That's the latest excuse for not looking is it?

Regarding flashing lights: When it comes to questions of law, which vary from area to area, it's better to ask the question on a local forum/mailng list, or, god forbid, type 'ontario road rules' into Google and look it up for yourself.

see http://192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Statutes...m#P2483_280705 (clause 62, part 17) for the relevant clause, but note part 14 as well. I'd clarify that with the police though - flashing tail-lights were illegal here in QLD until recently as well, but they were readily available for sale and widely used prior to that. I never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it.

I do wonder though - if they are illegal, why are they even available for sale?

Personally, I think flashing is better than a steady rear light. It distinguishes you better from the roadside clutter typical to urban and sub-urban streets. It is also by now pretty uniformly known that flashing tail-light=cyclist, which I think helps.

Last edited by Allister; 11-03-03 at 09:39 PM.