Thread: Carrying water
View Single Post
Old 12-03-06, 09:34 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
I think the pumps kinda make a lot of sense assuming there is water lying around. On the other hand one has to be careful. There is some evidence people using pumps are sick more often. This seems to be because the water going into the bottle isn't the only source of nasty bugs, you may otherwise contaminate yourself handling the source, and because; people take advantage of the fact they can now render potable water they would otherwise not consider, thereby getting close to bad source; and the filters are only so good. So while the pumps are good, particularly if all your sources are natural, they are not a good thing to rely on in areas where you have access to perfectly good treated water. Also cycling is thirsty work, and you may burn up a ton of water and it amounts to a lot of pumping, maybe we need a pumping system that drags one's wheel like a dyno.
There are good camping pumps like the Pur that are not just filters but rather purifiers which goes beyond what a filter can do. A purifier can literally take water that has been contaminated by sewage and make it completely safe to drink...I know because I've been able to to this with mine and mine was the same that special forces use a few years back. The PUR Katydyn Hiker is very similar in design that mine is, except I can't tell by the discription if it qualifies as a purifier since they seem to be using the filter description rather loosely. A purifier has to be able to meet the EPA microbial water purification protocol which is far stricter then a filter has to meet. Mine is an older model made in the 80's that is no longer in production. Mine has the prefilter in a ball that you placed in the water that I covered with a coffee filter (an old trick someone taught me), micropleated main filter that removed almost everything including living organisms, with an Iodine resin to kill anything that may have made it past the filter, then a carbon filter to remove the taste of the Iodine and any other tastes; all this was about 10 inches long and 3 inches across.

Other brands of water purifiers are made by: Pur Katadyn Exstream; MSR called the Miox Water Purifier; and First Need Deluxe. Of these the MSR one is now the one that the US Military uses. First Need probably (note I said probably) does the better job but is not as portable as the MSR (7"x1") which can fit into your pocket, whereas the First Need can fit in a pannier since it's only 6"x5". But the MSR runs on batteries and has wait times of up to 4 hours to destroy the worst bugs, whereas the First Need uses no batteries and has no wait time. The reason the military liked the MSR is because it's so small, and military people in the field are always looking for the smallest lightest thing to carry because the carry so much stuff now; but for a bike tourist the First Need would be more practicable and less expensive.