Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I wore....

Head:
Mountain Hardware balaclava, spandex skull cap, Bell Ghisalo helmet

Torso:
Performance Century LS Jersey base, bibs, another Perf Century LS Jersey, new Gore Alp-X Paclite (gore-tex) shell

Legs:
Lycra Cycling shorts, poly pro thermals, BTwin full bib tight (poly w/light fleece lining)

Hands:
Poly pro liners and Swix windstopper lobsters

Feet:
45% merino mid-weight sock, Sidi Genius, Heavy weight wool work sock w/cleat cut-out worn OVER shoe, Louis Garneau oversize neoprene bootie.

Weather:
17F, dark, no wind, 4-7am

3 hour, 40 mile, training ride, tempo heart rate (LT minus ~20 beats) with ~6 little ring form sprints. Previous temp ride record 25 degrees. I was testing Gore's new Alp-X and the use of a sock-over-shoe insulation layer.

torso - Not cold, but chilled and somewhat uncomfortable...am thinking more layers and windstopper torso may trump fewer layers and gore-tex. Curious of others thoughts? The jacket interior was wet long after sprints, which were only 20-30 seconds ea. I don't sweat much and can say that ~290 grams of PacLite conduct the the cold right through a vapor filled base. need better loft, not heat. The jacket also has no netting.

feet - screaming success! If I hadn't over tightened the right shoe, i'd have been warm for 3 hours!

everything else ok/fine, accept for eyes tearing up and puffy post-ride.