View Single Post
Old 12-07-06, 04:04 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
OK, hang with me on this one as I attempt to build an argument.
I just got back from a tough ride. Just above freezing with wind gusting up to 25 mph. Four layers of clothing and still feeling cold riding into the wind. As I was headed into the home stretch, I thought the ride felt four to five miles longer than it was. This triggered the following:

1. If pros in the major tours earn extra time for top place finishes or other "incentives" during a given stage, why shouldn't I earn extra miles for especially difficult rides?

2. Everyone knows that circulation begins to slow once past 50 and this results in a whole host of disadvantages when it comes to performance in cold weather. Not the least of which is a serious reduction in motivation.

3. So, 50+ riders should be able to add one extra mile for each 20 miles ridden when the temp and/or wind chill factor go 10 degrees below freezing. (This is only a suggested formula. It is open to debate and review by other 50+ members.)

4. Disqualification would occur should the rider take in any performance enhancing substance during the ride. Hence, a stop for coffee and blueberry pie would wipe out any extra miles that might have been earned. (Or tea and biscuits.)

Few faults in your argument

4> pie is a part of the bike ride and in fact a bonus should be earnt for 2 or more pieces

3> We are all over 50- except for a couple of honorary members- so age should not be a consideration. Unless you are riding with mere younsters of 40 or so- and then they should be made to pay for your pie.

1> Bonus points should only be gained when you have played dirty and worn out the younger riders with your antics to slow them down to your pace or worn them out so that they can no longer go at your pace. Good ways of doing this are continually drafting them so they do all the hard work except for the last 3 miles or so when they are absolutely shattered and you have to give them a tow.(They only remember the end of a ride)-- pointing out to them that it appears that their back wheel has a wobble, or is it the tyre. This mentally attacks them so they worry about the bike and come off the pace a bit. I am sure there are other ways to "Knobble" the fituns but I know these two work.

Now number 2 I can agree with to an extent. The main problem being the extremities of the hands and feet and What I find works is that I go out with my summer gloves right from the strat of the ride. I immediately start moaning about how cold my hands are und it is not long before one of the riders gives in and offers to swop gloves with you for his Polar Full mitts with the heated panels in them. This immediately puts one of the opposition to rest as he can't ride with no feeling in his fingers.
As to motivation-You only have to think of DG and he only stops riding when it snows. If he can go for a ride today, without worrying about how cold it is, Then so should the rest of us.

Those Inclement weather rides are hard- but the ideal situation in which to build your reputation as a real Cyclist. A little bit of 30mph wind or 2" of rain per hour just add to the kudos of an git on a bike that rides all the time.

By the way- Crying off next sundays ride as I have a sore toe and it might get aggravated when I hit that 20% hill with a 30mph headwind and the horizontal rain into my face.

Spike Milligan