View Single Post
Old 12-10-06, 02:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That's a lot of tension variation. You have one spoke on the non-drive side, for example that has only about half the tension of the others. That's clearly unacceptable so you know that you have to do something. The question is what.

On a traditional wheel with round spokes you'd be looking for around 100kgf. On a wheel with fewer spokes you'd want that tension number to be higher. A bladed spoke, however, is going to deflect a little less on the tensiometer than a round spoke so just dialing the tension up to the gauge reading for a 1.5mm round spoke will be too much. In other words, you don't know what the tension spec for each spoke is but, even if you did, you wouldn't what gauge number on your tensiometer corresponds to it.

Here's my GUESS:

I'd bring all of your drive side spokes to 19 on your tensiometer. I picked 19 because that's what most of them are now. I'd bring the non-drive spokes to 14 or whatever number is necessary to get the dish about right on the average. Then I'd true the wheel by tightening and loosening opposing pairs of spokes the same amount.

Good luck.