View Single Post
Old 12-11-06, 08:50 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
No, some left hooks are not unavoidable. but there are several ways to maximize safety. Robert Hurst in his Urban Cycling book had a very good treatment on it.

I use a coupple of techniques like my timing thru when there are potential left hookers, also a very assertive "I'm going forward" pointing manuver with both hands off the hoods.

At night, and I know this may sound like a radical position to take, but when i'm approaching potential left hookers from oncoming traffic, I often times will AIM DIRECTLY FOR THE DRIVER.

Why? 1)I'm pointing my lights directly into the drivers' eyes, and 2) if the car begins to move into the intersection I am in a better position to slide by the passenger side of the car, or take advantage of 3) a better vector position off to the right back into safety. I'ts kind of tough to tell you what I mean but #3 it becomes clear once you try it.

This by no means is my tactic all the time, but I use this "AIM right at them" technique at a few of the 'trouble' intersections along my commute where there are unsignalled crossover left turns across an arterial. Works pretty well.
I think this is very good advice. Its the way I approach any intersection where someone is turning left or may turn left. Remember many people will turn suddenly without signalling. You have to be prepared for this situation.

This gives you the most options, cross in front of the car, turn left and avoid, or stop.

The only thing I would add is that if you are going to hit the car, DON'T lay the bike down. Jump up and back as high and as far as you can. I had to jump up in the air and back when an SUV hit me head on while I was riding a motorcycle and I got away with very minor injuries. Laying down the bike and going under the car is just not an option.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1