Old 12-11-06, 11:33 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
What is the purpose of that sidewalk protrusion? It almost looks like a ramp up to the sidewalk but why?

I'm guessing that Southern is an arterial, or a common shortcut to avoid a busy arterial intersection?
The idea is to create a narrow spot to choke traffic. But in the designers mind traffic doesn't include bicycles, so they get ramped up next to the choke point. Notice the wrong way cyclist in the photo too.
Southern is an arterial. The stretch I most often ride has NOLs and lots of traffic as overflow from freeway. I think it should have sharrows and/or 'cyclist may use full lane' type signs.

Anyway, my whole point is that this road doesn not need traffic calming. If there are any safety problems it is due to cyclists breaking laws and not riding predictable with the flow of traffic. I most often use the full lane on this road today as the bike lane is a mess of wrong way and swervy cyclists, joggers, etc. (the sidewalk is fine to walk on too) I wonder who came up with the hairbrained idea this road needs improvement. Yes, beautification maybe and perhaps thats where the $ comes from marketed as traffic calming.
Al