Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 12-14-06, 12:18 AM
Danhalen

Bikes: Urbanite Road Bike, Mielle Fixed Gear Conversion, Vintage Lejeune Track Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
Is it knee pain from crankin' big gears, fatigue or a positional factor?
Well it all started when I whacked my knee of a table the hall of my appartment. Turns out I slightly dislocated my knee cap, but I didn't realize. It hurt like HELL but I just figured it was bruised and I carried on to go to work that day and the next week or so. Then after a few days at work it got really really sore/stiff. That's when I went to the walk-in/Chiropractor. The doctor prescribed anti-inflammatories (which I didn't take, I stuck to Advil). The chiropractor gave my leg a couple of yanks to realign my knee cap. That helped right away, but he warned me that it would be sensitve for a while.

I actually think I may have some positional issues on my road bike, which I had been riding for two weeks straight when this happened (so the injury is not related to riding fixed). That may have contributed. After a couple of days or recovery I did a bit of riding and noticed that my knee felt fine on my conversion, but started to get sore again on my road bike. I noticed the saddle was perhaps a touch high so I made a couple of adjustments but I have never really gotten comfortable with that bike (Urbanite lugged road frame). My Mielle and my Lejeune just both fit me really well from the beginning, I find them both really comfortable to ride. My Urbanite has just never felt totally right though. It's not a gearing issue, I always spin on my road bike and rarely get into the highest gears, and my Mielle conversion is geared at 46/17.