Thread: Here we go...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-06, 07:33 AM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Please don't let me dampen your enthusiasm and take whatever I (or anyone else) says on these boards with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted by Air
I now have a roadbike! I'm excited and a bit scared for some reason...
Congratulations.

- Cranks: Sugino VP (only 2 - how do I find out if this is a compact double or not? Top ring is 52)
If it's a 52, probably not compact. They're usually in the 50-tooth range.

- Brakes: Dia Compe sidepulls
Be careful going down steep or long hills. Not exactly the strongest brake, especially for us clydes.

- Saddle: Vetta...
- Grips: Squishy...
Make sure these are comfortable. Might not be good for longer rides.

- Spokes are in pretty decent condition - two spokes are a little rusty but some steel wool should take care of that.
I'd recommend getting a pair of new wheels. Or at least taking the old ones to your LBS for replacement of rusted spokes and truing.

- Here's the big one. There is a kickstand. Seems like the kickstand was down and someone leaned against it - there's a decent sized dent on the bottom of the bottom tube leading from the bb to dropouts. However the dent doesn't seem to be in a structural place and he probably rode that way on it for a while by the looks of it. I'll include shots of that this weekend, see what y'll think.
Definitely need pics. But...take it out, find a short steep hill (with no traffic), and jam on those pedals. Can you flex the frame? Bend it? Hurt it? Test those chainstays!

- Took the front wheel off and spun it - very crunchy. Might just be rusty bearings or could be an eaten hub; there felt like there was a lot of resistance probably in the hubs and some rubbing of the brakes.
Sounds like it needs new bearings. Hopefully the inside of the hub is still okay, or you'll need a new hub. Easy enough job if you have the tools.

- Cables are a bit rusty, will have to change those.
Definitely.

- If I move the brake cables it seems like the brake engages.
Because of the rusty cables--they've locked up on you.

If I'm going to put money into this I'd like it to go towards parts I can transfer. The frame has me a little worried and the 27" tires seem like they'll cause some problems.
You might want to be careful about the amount of money you do put into it. I don't think it would be worth it. Then again, if it gets you out riding... The money you spend might be better spent going toward a bike on craigslist or ebay. My two cents.