View Single Post
Old 12-15-06, 11:31 AM
greenstork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
1- Don't forget, the Cross Check complete also comes with DT spokes, as opposed to no-name generic spokes on the Volpe. I have broken 20+ generic spokes on my Kona. I have never broken a DT or Wheelsmith spoke. Remember, 1 broken spoke permanently, though possibly minimally, weakens all the other spokes in the wheel.

2- I have read online, as well as in BF, that the paint on the Cross Check seems to be stronger than the Volpe. To me this is important because it's steel, and keeping the paint intact helps to prevent rust.

3- I did not want brifters. I wanted something I can work on. In my lead-up-to-purchase research I read barcons are not only more reliable but easier to work on.

4- I have solved the gearing issue by replacing the cassette with an 11x32 variety. This gives me enough gear to get up any hill I've encountered in my area (Pacific Northwest).

5- I bought mine from edinabike.com in Sept. 06 for $730 w/s&h. They've upped the price now to $875 + s&h. I believe they charge approx. $45 s&h.

Good luck!
Sorry for the minor thread hijack.

Re: #4

What are you running up front? double or triple? what gearing?