Old 12-15-06, 12:12 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
And this is why bike racing rocks even if you're slow like me....

I haven't raced in 7 years. I'm turning FIFTY next year. I never rose above Cat IV (even though I mostly did Vets races and placed in a few). Here's why:

• I suck at racing, but found if I trained hard I became a factor in races, particularly as a team mate chasing down breaks, blocking, etc.

• Racing gives me a focus for my riding/training.

• Racing makes me faster.

• Racing always made me a better rider.

• Getting faster means you can do faster group rides, and faster rides generally have better/safer/cooler cyclists that know how to handle a paceline.

Is there elitism in racing? Of course. You get used to it and it becomes rather laughable after a while. But there is also plenty of camraderie and cool people, even on the road racer scene. In fact the people you get to be friends with may be the best part of all.

So there's something in racing for just about anyone who want to try. Take it from me. If somebody as slow and pathetic as I can enjoy it, maybe you can too : ). And you may surprise yourself too. I have from time to time. But you'll never know unless you try.

I'm planning on an uphill TT next May - and it has me all jazzed up about riding/training/diet. You know what? How I actually perform in that race becomes very secondary to how much it motivates me in the meantime. That's how it works for me.