View Single Post
Old 12-15-06, 01:51 PM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
What is the deal with DSLR lenses. I was looking at a bunch of them recently they have noticeable droop, seem kinda cheap. Huge zoom ranges that would have been considered compromised in an older time. Obviously the torque those little motors are capable of is not the equal of hte human hand. I am told that the Pentax DSLRs can run some of the purely mechanical lenses from a bigone time, any point in that?
Digital specific SLR lenses have a smaller image circle than their film counterparts. I haven't used one I particularly liked, soft optics.
Using older manual lenses has its advantages, depending on how you approach your photography. Prime lenses are still the sharpest, and good glass has been around for a couple of generations now. If you are really particular about your final print, or a specific effect, some of the older lenses are the only way to achieve it.

I'll carry two or three lenses (50mm prime, 24mm tilt/shift {damned versatile lens} and sometimes a 100-400) along with my camera body, and my iPod because I can download images to it, and don't have to be tethered to a computer.

I rigged a bag with some Ortlib attachment gear to lug it all around.

Click image for details

--A

Last edited by Allen; 12-19-06 at 02:34 PM.