Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David in PA
In 2005, my tour ended in Colorado, and I needed to return home to PA (at the time). No one way car rentals were available any where near me. I considered the train, but they told me I couldn't take my bike past Pittsburgh, PA. (Say what?) So, believe it or not, I took the bus from eastern Colorado to the Philly burbs.

My Tip to you is this: Never, ever, never, ever do that. It was the worst damned experiene of my life. It took TWO days. No, we didn't spend the night somewhere. But I changed buses at least 10 times, which was a hassle beyond words. Making sure that all of my gear and my bike made its way to the next bus was especially stressful and aggravating. The bus stations were dirty, crowded, and disgusting, and full of people begging for money. It was tough getting something decent to eat, almost impossible. Everything was rush and wait. Some of the bus riders became downright stinky. I could go on, but you get the idea.

A several hour bus ride is no problem, but I will never again take a ride longer than that.

David in FL
Wow, that's really bad. I've only had good experiences travelling by bus in Australia and Greece (although not with a bike there) and it was fine in Vietnam too. Maybe bad coaches are a local problem?