View Single Post
Old 12-19-06, 06:27 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by flair1111
Stupid question I guess, but Ive never done it on a multispeed.(24 speed)...wothout breaking the chain. I need to really clean it.

Your question is not really clear my friend, but I think you're asking "can a chain be removed without breaking it?.

No. You cannot remove a chain from a bicycle unless you break the chain, whether that means using a chain tool to remove a rivot OR separating (breaking) the chain via a special link such as a Powerlink used on a SRAM chain.

However, you do not need to remove (break) the chain to clean it. You can clean it on the bike.

I'm assuming here that you have a Simano chain, correct? If so, Shimano chains cannot be separated without completly driving out the rivot, then when you have to join it together again, you need a special Shimano replacement rivot.

If you want to break your chain often to clean it then I suggest getting a SRAM chain with a Powerlink. That way you can just pop this special link off with your fingers and remove the chain and reinstall without ever needing a chain tool. I use them on all my bikes and remove my chain to clean.

Hope that helps.