genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtsmile
To me, the attack on cycling gear is exactly what you claim. That, and a great fear of actually looking different from what a person might think is the norm. Some people are such cowards

On the other hand, we could take a look through the lense of the letter writer at other sports. Look at football players with their goofy looking tight lycra pants. Makes them look like well padded nancy boys! Or the baseball player with his quaint garters. I mean, who but the most earnest uses garters for their socks? And dare I talk about the insecticide infested polyester clad golf pros... Well heck yah, I do so dare. Ever check out the "strike a pose" so many take after each swing?

I mean really, the sports that so many like and admire are no more or no less goofy or stupid than the one the "lycra clad circus clown" participates in, and the attitude the letter writer the OP quoted is just plain silly when seen in this light.

While I agree with you fully... the primary difference is that the cyclists' "playing field" happens to be public roadways... where oddly enough motorists also "play" by taking "Sunday Drives," or "cruises," yet apparently cyclists are supposed to stay in their own little worlds.

This of course is not to imply that cyclists are only "playing" on the roadways either, as commuting is also done there.