View Single Post
Old 12-22-06, 01:35 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sam83
Edit: You are going straight and an oncoming car is turning left.

If a car violates your ROW, what do you think?
I've been in a similar situation before. The left turner was coming from the road on my left though, but still crossing in front of me (I was in the middle lane preparing for a left turn). I escaped through a fluke in timing, not through any intentional evasive action on my own.

Left hooks and crosses are more difficult, because evasive action requires an escape to outside the turning radius of the vehicle, which, unlike in a right hook or cross, involves crossing into oncoming traffic or hooking across same direction traffic, or an acceleration across the vehicle's path. This makes avoiding left hooks and crosses much more difficult than avoiding right hooks or crosses.

With my incident, I was all set up to hit the car broadside just behind the rear wheelwell. I was probably 10 feet away on a collision course when I let go of the brakes in preparation for the collision, and that restoration of steering control enabled me to swerve (as a reaction, not a planned maneuver) around behind the vehicle. I missed it by probably 2-3 feet.

Best is to avoid the problem all together, but the scary thing is, with my incident, I tracked the car as it made its move across 4 lanes of traffic. I was aware of the developing situation for a full 2 or 3 seconds and still only just barely missed the collision.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter