View Single Post
Old 12-27-06, 11:20 AM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
saddles are so personal that what one person likes someone else might not. WTB laser series saddles look very uncomfortable (very firm, no cut-out) but a lot of people say they are the best saddle ever. i've never tried one though. i've hated every bontrager saddle i've ever had. i had a Viscount saddle i got for free that worked ok for a while. it had very soft cushion for maybe 1/8" then became very firm. i like it that way because too firm and it hurts, too soft and everything goes numb. it had no cut-out but a good indentation. and it was that genuine fake leather stuff so it was about weatherproof. i still have it as a backup. on it i go numb after 10 miles, but periodic standing can prevent/relieve that. then i got a Serfas RX mens saddle, this was very comfortable, and very comfortable when sitting for several miles. it had a good combination of softness/firmness, medium width cut-out for the whole length of the saddle, the material was breathable, and it was very light. it was my favorite for comfort and distance. though it wasn't weatherproof, it would soak up rain and hold it, so every time you sat on it your butt got wet. it also started to show wear after 80 miles (my first seat still looked new after 275 miles). but due to my weight (200lbs) the rails became so bent that i couldn't counteradjust for it. now i have a terry liberator city, its not as comfy as the serfas but more comfy than my Viscount. it's material is basically a soft rubber shell, very weatherproof and so far shows no wear after about 90 miles. it has a very wide cutout and the seat it self is fairly wide, i think it's almost too wide for me. the rails are hollow titanium so i hope to not be able to bend them anytime soon. the rubber material is very grippy so you don't slide around much which is great on road or easy trails, but if you try to slide off the back for a quick descent it can grab your clothes, which also makes getting on/off a little more difficult. oh my dad's bike has a super padded diamondback saddle, its very wide in the back with 2 oversized pads where your sit bones go. it also has springs that help absorb shocks. the material is spandex. ive ridden it on a few rides and was happy with it. no numbness or pain that i remember. the springs squeak with every pedal stroke, which is annoying and probably means it's robbing a little efficiency.