Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
P

time to wake up and smell the espresso.

Pearl Izumi is not what it once was.

You, of all people, should be making the investment into a top set of winter gear - seeing you ride ALL of the time, and have a fondness for 'Extra Spensive' wheels and whatnot.
But my winter gear from Pearl Izumi consists of just booties, leg warmers and a basic (unlined) outer shell - and I have two heavier (non Pearl) lined shells I wear when it's colder. Other than that it's a standard racing bib/jersey over various upper layers and longjohn underwear of varying weight. And that's about it. I can't stand long tights, special jackets and all that other 'winter' cycling gear. I've got my ride wear outfits dialed in. I've been riding in the cold long enough that one look at the thermometer and weather conditions and I mentally know what specific garmets will work that day. And winter doesn't require anything too special - or winter oriented. Mostly it's the layers underneath that serve to keep me warm. In temps down to 18º or so.

Assos, Hincapie, Pearl, whatever works for you is fine with me. If you can get out there and ride in temps like today (and colder) you get my vote. Winter riding gear sucks - it's ugly, heavy and not all that comfortable. So I can't get too excited about any of it. But if it works it's a necessary evil.