View Single Post
Old 01-02-07, 03:10 PM
Carusoswi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dennis/Weak:
I plan on using my GPS unit in the same manner as you describe. One question . . . I was looking at Google Map - will I need to pay for a subscription to look at the routes I generate as I'm out riding? I have played around with Google Map, but have yet to invest in a subscription because, until now, I could see no practical application that pertained to me.

We have already had a lot of fun using the Vista CX to "find" a couple of movie theaters, the Kimmel Center (my son played in one of those "Salute to Vienna" holiday concerts there - music was just alright, singing was pretty bad) in Philadelphia, Lees Hoagies in Southampton. It's pretty clear that the thing can be very useful. I have a project meeting in Harrisburg in the morning. Have plugged in the address and already know how to go. I'm certain this is nothing special in GPS units, but it is really cool to set the thing and depend upon it to beep a couple of times in advance of where you need to change course - you don't have to sit and watch it. I am especially looking forward to using it for some of my night rides. I could never get my cyclo-computer to light brightly enough at night that I could actually tell how fast or far I had ridden without stopping and shining a light (really tough to find your moving speed when you have to stop to read the speedo!!). I know that a GPS will not be quite as accurate at instantaneous speed readings, but, at least that screen will come on nice and bright when yo press the button.

I bet I have some 20 hours of use on my original set of AA Alkaline batteries and the power icon has lost just one segment so far.

I didn't need this thing at all, but it's fun to have just the same.

Caruso