View Single Post
Old 01-03-07, 08:59 PM
Velo Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So, with all of your experience, you'd be a good person to advise all of the people who want to know what kind of frame pump to buy.

I've got to know because I'm thinking that we have it good in Missouri, Is your experience typical of other bike riders in your area?
I've used the same Zefal hpX for about 15 years, and it still works like new, but the longest model is too short for my Atlantis or Rambouillet. I just bought a Topeak (can't remember the model) frame pump that's a little longer and seems to be really sold and well-made, but I haven't ridden much since I got it, so I dunno.
I have a few more flats than the typical Reno-area rider, I think, for a couple of reasons. I weigh 230 when I'm in pretty good shape, more than that now, and that really does seem to make a difference--the tires push down harder. I do most of my riding on 700x35 or 37 tires, which are almost twice as wide as the 23s most people use, so I hit things they'd miss, and I live in a fairly rural areas, so on the Atlantis, at least, I go off pavement occasionally, across the desert or onto dirt roads.