View Single Post
Old 12-08-03, 09:26 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Specialize Armadillo actually use 3 flat protection layers, the following was copied from their web site:

"Race Across America (RAAM) two time winner and 6 podium positions. Our most flat resistant tire with bead to bead flat protection. Co-developed with engineers from DuPontŪ, the next-generation Specialized Armadillo tire family combines the smooth, long-wearing ride of a performance tire with three proven flat-protection technologies.

A DuPont aramid subtread barrier provides bead-to-bead protection. A second aramid barrier impregnated with an aramid-engineered elastomer seals all gaps in the fabric weave. Finally, a new synthetic cap ply material uses a lightweight version of the latest offroad motorcycle racing technology to prevent sidewall cuts. The result is the most effective flat-prevention technology on the market. Available in both Mountain, Road, BMX and Ergo/RTB versions. Just look for the Armadillo Icon."

So even though these tires are made more for commuting and light touring there are some people racing on them. I commute plus ride for excercise and light touring, I use to get at least 1 flat per ride or destroy the tire before switching to the Armidillo's, I feel they are the best for that because they have eliminated flats. Note, this flat problem was not a large issue before I moved to Bakersfield when I averaged about 4-5 flats a month on racing tires, but when I moved to Bakersfield that ratio went to 3-5 per week! Thus my search of many tires to reduce the flat issue here eventually after about 12 sets of tires and never getting more than 750 miles out of a tire led me to the Armidillo.