View Single Post
Old 01-06-07, 07:08 PM
amaferanga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Note that you have not done that. I believe you did mention in one place that you could give Flic some suggestions for places to stay and get food etc., but you weren't going to because you figure she could fend for herself. Why not??? Instead of petting Flic, and criticizing the rest of us, why don't you provide some practical advice for her? She's determined to leave in a week ... she needs all the help she can get! Tell her how to get out of Cairo ... you've apparently done it, you must remember how you did it. Tell her how you got through the borders without any difficulties. Tell her how long ago you were in Africa and what the political climate was really like at the time. Tell her how long you'd been cycling before you did your tour. Tell her how much bicycle maintenance you knew ... how many times you had to use it on the road ... what she should bring in the way of tools and other supplies. Tell her where to get food, where to find a good place to sleep. Tell her how much water you had to carry, and how much you drank along the way. Post your ride report, photos, etc., etc.

Let's hear some practical advice from you for a change!
I haven't cycled in Egypt or Sudan, I never said I had.

I don't need to tell her where to stay as such information is easily had from locals.

I was in Africa in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

Before my first tour I'd done a single 4 day tour in Scotland.

I'd never spoken to or been in contact with anyone who had cycled in Africa before my first trip, but that wasn't a problem since I was looking for an adventure and didn't want to know everything before I left. I knew enough to survive.

I knew virtually no bike maintenance. I thought that 1 chain would last forever, couldn't change a spoke, couldn't service bearings, couldn't do much really beyond changing a tyre and adjusting gears and brakes. Guess what though - I learned pretty damn quickly.

You seem to be unaware of the best way to learn and completely unaware of the reality of the African continent. Clearly nothing I say will convince you that Africa is actually quite pleasant place to be, particularly if you are a (relatively) rich non-African.

I've been in touch with Flic outside of this thread so I have given her some essential tips on things like water, but (speaking from personal experience) there's no better way to learn about cycling in Africa than to................

I don't wish to argue with you Machka, as I've said before when it comes to your thing you do give some great advice, but this thread isn't about randoneurs and I don't believe you've set foot in Africa or taken on a big adventurous tour so I'm really not sure why you're posting here. You have offered lots of advice, but most of it is irrelevant (e.g. the stuff about some hostelling association - you really think there are hostels in Ethiopia or Uganda or Zambia that are members. Do you think there are hostels all over Africa?)