Old 01-08-07, 05:21 PM
joe_cdn
Canada Joe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey!
Just wanted to reply concerning why I chose SoCal and not SoFrance... To start with, I just became a member of BikeForums - let alone a member to my first discussion board.

I was overwhelmed by all the different groups on this forum at first. Initially I wrote to Canadian counterparts. Minutes later, I wondered if there would be high response activity there - perhaps not enough people....

Then I thought of SoCal.
Few years ago I was doing a fundraiser for Pallotta Teamworks to run in the European Aids Vaccine Ride. (All in all, work broke up my party, and I only ended up voluteering for bikers on arrival). But Pallotta is based in LA and I recall the how outgoing people were there.
I looked up SoCal and noticed it was quite active with members and figured I'd have a good chance of getting a response this week....

The responses have been great and extremely helpful for someone like me who doesn't know much about new bikes nor about the region where I am heading.

From what I gather, it will be best to spend time at the local bike shops. I am now very much re-assured that the bike shops in France are as competent as what we would find in North America. I was a little kweezy about having the local shop trying to push a local brand of lower value. So I can say that you've alleviated my concerns about this.

I knew about Decathlon, but not about Veloland. I was very impressed with their website and with the products that they carry. I will make sure to swing by one of the stores asap when I get to the south. As for Decathlon, they are everywhere in Paris. I took time today at lunch and was very plesantly surprised with the array of choice that they have. I really used to think that they carried very low-end gear - it doesn't seem to be the case.

Once settled, I will take my time to check out the different shops, including Bouti-Cycle which also has a very nice website.

Otherwise, I've heard a few times about heavy wheels being a plus. I imagine that this is for purposes of lowering the center of mass for heavy riders... something I really had not thought of. This is why I really appreciate all the advice that you've provided! Thank you!!

As for how one gets a job in Southern France? Sophia-Antipolis is known as the Silicon Valley of Europe - and there is plenty of work there! I, on the other hand and very much looking forward to get back to North America!