Thread: Toronto Fixed
View Single Post
Old 01-09-07, 07:15 PM
jeremywhitehorn
In Velo Veritas

Bikes: Menonite black urbanite, probably enough spare parts to make anther one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
Where is the best place to buy stovetop espresso pots in this city? I want to get one of the bialetti 'brikka' pots because they have a special valve that supposedly encourages crema, but they seem pretty rare. I know I can get a low end one at St. Lawrence but I may as well splurge given these things last 50 years.

Also, steel or aluminum?
i have a steel one and it's not worth the money (the seals are mediocre and so i'm always left with a 1/2 pot of water in the bottom and yes i have changed the seals), the aluminum ones you can buy at Tap Phong for $10 work fine (kitchen stuff plus sells them too for about the same price), they are as good as the bialettas (also for sale at TP) of the same design (i've had both). that valve sounds like a sales gimmick to me; the only trick to good crema is never ever use high heat and have your grounds the right consistensy, although it's never as full as with a proper espresso machine.

if you really want to splurge then do yourself a favour and take a trip to the Faema store on davenport (at ossington), they have the moka pots in all shapes and sizes.

oh and why not break down and just go to starbucks? it serves me well when i was an office jockey. sometimes you have no choice.