Thread: 53x11
View Single Post
Old 01-11-07, 08:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
I typically have an 11 on my bike. Not really because I need it, but because its flat here, and I don't need big gears, so I put on a smaller cassette, either 11-21, or 11-23.

Tuesday night world championships where the leadout of the sprints start in the low to mid 30's it doesn't hurt to have an 11, although I wouldn't say I need it.

The other use of the 11, is for muscle tension workouts. On the trainer, or slight grades that pass for hills, I can use the 53x11 to get enough resistence at 55 rpm to do muscle tension.

As for your wattage assumptions, you're forgetting that in big field sprint you're getting a big draft effect in the lead out. And in the end when you punch it you're going to be putting out a lot more than 871 watts.

Sustained 871 watts would be super human. 871 watts for a sprint would leave a decent sized rider off the back of a Cat 5 sprint.