View Single Post
Old 01-13-07, 09:11 AM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just for fun....and to be educated by those who have already traveled where I am about to travel....

Grolby wrote "...but there is no doubt that smooth-post cantis are perhaps the second-most frustrating brake to adjust, ever. " What is a smoot post vs the "alternative"? I took some mid '80s Shimano canti's off my project frame, has three little holes for spring inside...are there other types? I was going to replace them with a nice set of Avid Shortys.....not sure why....maybe a waste of money...just look better.

Then I started to consider V brakes....since most of the riding will be commuting....they will stop you in a a hurry will get water off faster than Canti's....

But they have GOT TO weigh much more. Brakes are my least concern, drive train and some awesome wheels are where I am going to focus my $$$. I just need something that works when needed so I am almost inclined to polish up the Shimano's and leave the brakes stock.

Or, the more I think about it, take the nice 'looking' canti's off my Burley Duet and upgrade to V-pulls there....where I do need more braking power...and put those canti's on my commuter.

Experts? Are there different post types I need to learn about before I tear things appart? Won't V-pulls add weight over Canti's? Other things I should know? Cable stops are key.

Last edited by AD-SLE; 01-13-07 at 09:27 AM.