Old 01-14-07, 12:51 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry if these questions are answered in the MS Word docs (haven't gotten around to installing Office on my new computer yet) but I was hoping you could address the following questions.

What is the estimated cost per student supplied?

Are the supplies mentioned actually in short supply, or is it just that the schools can't afford them? Isn't buying (or otherwise gathering) a bunch of stuff at first world prices and shipping them (at first world rates) to a far corner of the world a lot more expensive than gathering financial resources and buying what you need locally? Put another way, what is the local monetary value (converted to US dollars) of the supplies relative to the anticipated cost of the program? I understand distribution costs time/money, but how much?

What kind of oversight and accountability is there for the program? Who or what organization will be running the show? What kind of experience does that person or organization have in this type of activity? Not just fundraising, but also interacting with the US military and coordinating across multiple continents.

What concrete steps have been taken to date? And in particular, has non-profit status been granted to whatever group is running this program? (Yes, student organizations can file for non-profit status separate from the university.)