View Single Post
Old 01-14-07, 05:05 AM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
The only problem I see with "V type" brakes is that they do require special brake levers that pull more cable. These are widely available for straight bars, but none of the options for drop bars is much good.
Hmm, what's wrong with the Dia-Compe 287-V levers? I know you've used them.

I have them on my bike, and haven't had a problem with them over the 3000 miles I've used them.
Well, except for the tiny locking screw, which screws into soft aluminium. Naturally, I messed it up and destroyed the outer 1-2 threads on one of them. I can still screw it in, but it takes more fiddling and time. Once in, it's solid, though.

A better solution would be to make regular V levers with a smarter mounting system, so they can be mounted on drop bars as well. But for some reason, the manufacturers have decided to not allow anyone to do that. I've no idea why they're so stupid (they'd sell more, for almost no extra effort), but I know I can't do anything about it...