View Single Post
Old 01-14-07, 12:26 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
CdCf - The problem with the 287-V levers is high cable friction, mostly. I've got mine pretty well dialed-in, now, but for the first 400 miles or so they were problematic. They're very particular about cable routing, in my experience. I also just don't think that they're particularly nice levers. The hoods are kind of narrow and hard, and there's the issue you mentioned with the mounting screw.
I just put them together and off I went. No problems at all. I can't say if it's luck on my part, though... It was only when I had to replace a frayed cable that I messed up the threads.

The hoods? Well, I never use them, except to hang my helmet on when I'm off the bike for a while. So that's not an issue for me.

Nice? Hmm, they look clean and sleek, and I can't really say that their either good or bad. I don't buy bike components primarily based on what they look like. Well, not unless there's a costless choice between silver and black, in which case I go with silver.