Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
Hmm, what's wrong with the Dia-Compe 287-V levers? I know you've used them.
The 287V has more internal cable friction than better quality "aero" levers such as Campagnolo, Shimano and Tektro/Cane Creek.

This can be helped by unconventional cable routing, as I did on my Thorn Raven, where I deliberately did not run the cables under the tape. If you go under the tape, there's a nasty bend as the cable exits the internal noodle.

The 287V pulls more cable than any other drop-bar lever, just barely enough to be acceptable for "V-type" brakes.

Originally Posted by CdCf
A better solution would be to make regular V levers with a smarter mounting system, so they can be mounted on drop bars as well. But for some reason, the manufacturers have decided to not allow anyone to do that. I've no idea why they're so stupid (they'd sell more, for almost no extra effort), but I know I can't do anything about it...
It's not that the manufacturers are "stupid." It is not so easy to make a long-pull lever for drop bars.

First of all, standard "V-type" brake levers, like other levers made for straight bars, bend away from the handlebar to provide good clearance. Levers for drop bars need to bend toward the bars or you wouldn't be able to reach the bottom of the lever with your fingers from the drop position.

Levers for drop bars need to be operable from the hoods as well as the drops, but "V type" brakes require a long pull lever.

The way you make a long pull lever is by having a longer distance from the lever pivot to the cable attachment. This requires a physically larger body. Since the market demands "aero" type cable routing, where the cable runs above the pivot, you either need to move the cable up or the pivot down.

The 287V moves the cable up as far as is possible. Moving the pivot down would cause the lever to be difficult/impossible to operate from the hoods.

Sheldon "Not As Easy As You Might Imagine" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------+
|   Whatever became of eternal truth?   |
+---------------------------------------+