View Single Post
Old 01-15-07, 09:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Shemp
Thanks all, we already own 2 sets of four panniers, so we're not looking to buy more. It's mostly synthetics and light weight anyhow, as part of that weight is due to some cool weather gear we didn't take last trip that we probably need this time (Icefields). That stuff is bulky so it can't fit in smaller front panniers a la Machka. She gets off somewhat easy because I take the tent and the down quilt.
You don't have to use small panniers on the front, especially if you have large bulky items. The bags really don't care where you put them. They are mounted far enough forward that you won't hit them with your feet and rear bags really aren't that much wider nor deeper than front ones, they are usually just longer front to back.

Front bags make much more sense in terms of handling then rear bags...if you only carry one set of bags. My wife has toured with rear only and with front only and she much prefered the front only option. It dampens the steering and make the bike more stable. Putting a big load on the rear wheel moves the load further away from the steering center and tends to 'drive' the bike, i.e. makes it go off line more during cornering.

Before you dismiss it, load a set of bags with a similar touring weight and take them for a test drive. You'll be suprised.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!